Saturday, April 1, 2017

Poetry and the Creative Mind

"Each year during National Poetry Month in April, the Academy of American Poets presents a gala celebration of poetry’s important place in our culture, and its impact on the lives of readers and artists working in other disciplines. The event—Poetry & the Creative Mind— features leading and legendary actors, dancers, artists, musicians, and public figures on one stage sharing their favorite poems. This year’s event will feature Meryl Streep, Uzo Aduba, Elizabeth Alexander, Wayne Brady, Maurice Hines, Madhur Jaffrey, Sebastian Junger, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Amanda Palmer, Meg Ryan, National Student Poet Joey Reisberg, and more." 

For myself Poetry has been a lifeline throughout my life, in fact allowing me to release the poisons that were making my soul sick simply by putting it down on paper. Once it is on paper it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it was and I was able to move past whatever was causing me trouble at that time.

For more information about Poetry Month go to the National Poetry Month Home and for ideas on how to celebrate Poetry Month take a look at this page: 30 ways to celebrate national poetry month.

I plan on doing a few of them myself. Over the years I have tried to celebrate this month by writing a poem a day for 30 days but have never quite managed it though I have written a couple of hundred poems. I have been debating rather I should try again this year or if I should just share poems I have already written or rather I should forget about participating completely

In 2011 I joined the 101 Things in 1001 Days Challenge for the first time. It was the reason I began this blog in the first place. One of my goals at that time was to write 52 poems in a year each one in a different style. The first style I tried  was an Abcedarian

Now how does poetry reflect the creative mind? Well the first thought I have is the rapper who has to make up poetry on the fly to beat his opponent, back when rapping was a way to settle gang issues. That takes a very creative mind.

Another example of how poetry helps the creative mind is by creating very dense word images to describe something. Which can then be made into an actual image just from the description.

All I know is that for me poetry came before crafting and crafting came before art.

No comments:

Post a Comment